English Requirement – Medium Term Stream of Subclass 482 TSS Visa
If you are applying for a subclass 482 TSS visa application in the medium term stream, you must show evidence of meeting the English language requirements unless one of the following exemptions apply:
- You hold a valid passport from one of these countries: the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, the Republic of Ireland or New Zealand.
- You have completed at least five cumulative years of full-time study in a secondary and/or higher education institution where the instruction was delivered in English. You will need to obtain evidence from the educational institution(s) confirming this. This evidence must clearly confirm the years you attended, the qualification you attained, that the course was full-time and that the medium of instruction was in English. You can download a template letter here. This letter should be accompanied by transcripts/marksheets for each year of study relied on.
- Your annual guaranteed earnings will be at least AUD96,400 and you currently work overseas for the sponsor or work for an overseas business that is an associated entity of your sponsor.
If you do not meet one of these exemptions, you must sit an approved test to prove your English language ability. The following tests are acceptable:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – the General test is sufficient;
- Occupational English Test (OET);
- Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT);
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE);
- Cambridge English: Advanced test (CAE).
The minimum scores required are as follows:
|Test||Minimum band score||Minimum scores for test components|
|IELTS test||Overall band score 5.0||5||5||5||5|
|TOEFL iBT||Total band score 35||4||4||14||14|
|PTE||Overall band score 36||36||36||36||36|
|CAE||Overall band score 154||154||154||154||154|
For the purposes of a visa application, English test results are valid for 3 years.