Skip to main content

How Can We Help?

De Facto Relationship Evidence – TSS & other temporary visas

Including a de facto partner

You will need to show that you and your partner are living together and if living separately, that this was not on a continuous basis. We recommend that you try and provide documents dating from at least 6 months ago to present.

The Department of Home Affairs takes this requirement seriously and if it cannot be evidenced, the visa will not be granted to your partner.

The following is a list of the sort of evidence that can be provided. All of this evidence can be scanned copies/photos. We do not need them notarised/certified unless requested by Home Affairs:

  • Home ownership/mortgage documents in both names or joint residential leases, rental agreements and receipts.
  • Evidence of household expenses, such as electricity, gas and internet bills and accounts in both names or individually but sent to the same address.
  • Correspondence jointly or separately addressed to both of you at the same address.
  • Evidence of joint bank accounts or separate accounts with the same address.
  • Insurance policies in joint names.
  • Evidence of joint financial commitments (e.g. bank statements showing that you transfer each other money for expenses).
  • Receipts for major purchases in both names, furniture, car, joint investments, joint loans, etc.
  • Copies of wills and/or life insurance policies showing both names at the same address.
  • If applicable, full birth certificates (showing details of parents) of any children born of the relationship, or a doctor’s certificate confirming pregnancy where applicable.
  • Documentary evidence of shared social lives, such as joint membership of organisations or groups, or joint participation in social, cultural, sporting or other activities.
  • Evidence of joint travel/holidays (itineraries, hotel bookings etc)
  • Small selection of photographs (max 10-15), with captions (e.g. names, dates, location) – click here to download a template.

Please note these are suggestions only – you are not expected to provide all the items listed. Generally, evidence of shared financial commitments and bank accounts is the strongest evidence.

If you provide documents in a language other than English, please provide annotations/highlight key details. Some of them may need to be translated.