What if I am overseas, can I travel to Australia?

At this point in time, only Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents and New Zealand citizens (who reside in Australia) are able to enter Australia.

Immediate family members of Australian citizens/permanent residents or Australian resident NZ citizens are able to request entry to Australia. If you are a temporary visa holder who is in a relationship with an Australian, you may be able to enter but you will need to complete this form and submit relationship evidence BEFORE you travel. Do not make travel arrangements until you have received permission from the Department of Home Affairs to enter the country.

Under the current ban, temporary visa holders (including TSS and 457) cannot enter Australia until these restrictions are lifted. How long this ban will be in place will depend on the virus pandemic.

There are very limited exemptions and these are being looked at on a case by case basis by the Commissioner of the Australian Border Force (ABF). Any exemption must be requested BEFORE travelling to Australia and it will be extremely difficult to obtain. Further information on the exemptions can be found here.

From midnight AEDT on 28 March 2020, if you are permitted to enter Australia, you will be forced to quarantine in a hotel or other accommodation for 14 days. You will not be allowed to return to your home in Australia. These rules will be forced by the state police forces, alongside the Australian Defence Force (ADF).

If you hold a temporary partner visa (subclass 820 or 309), you can travel to Australia immediately without needing to request permission.

If you are in a relationship with an Australian and do not yet have a visa to travel to Australia, please contact us.