If I am in Australia, can I apply for the COVID-19 Pandemic Temporary Activity (subclass 408) visa?
The Australian Government has introduced the Temporary Activity (subclass 408 Australian Government Endorsed Event (AGEE) stream) visa during the COVID-19 pandemic. This is a free visa that can be granted for a period of between 6 to 12 months.
Temporary visa holders in Australia may be eligible for this visa if the following can demonstrated:
- your visa is about to expire (in the next 28 days) or your visa has already expired;
- you are unable to apply for any other temporary visa, other than this 408 visa;
- you can’t leave Australia;
- you are currently working in a critical sector during the COVID-19 pandemic, like agriculture, food processing, health care, aged care, disability care and child care; and
- it can be demonstrated that an Australian citizen or Permanent Resident cannot fill the position.
This COVID-19 408 visa is seen as a last resort and no visa grants have been issued by the Department since the visa was released in early April 2020.